Cricket 2020: Jofra Archer racist abuse, two-year ban from New Zealand Cricket
A spectator who racially abused England fast bowler Jofra Archer during a Test match at Mount Maunganui in November has been banned from domestic and international matches in New Zealand for two years.
Police issued the man with a verbal warning for using insulting language and NZC has contacted the man to inform him he is banned from international and domestic matches until 2022.
Watch the South Africa v England Test Series & more international cricket LIVE with FOX CRICKET on KAYO. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >
The man would be liable for further police action if he breaches the ban, NZC spokesman Anthony Crummy said.
“We’d again like to extend our apologies to Jofra and the England team management for such an unsavoury incident and reiterate once more that this type of behaviour is completely unacceptable,” Crummy said.
“We want to thank the New Zealand Police for their efforts in identifying the person responsible, and for making it clear that this type of behaviour will not be minimised.” Crummy said NZC would not identify the man or release information that could lead to his identification. He also insisted NZC would continue to post anti-racist messages signs around grounds, including on the big screen.
Archer complained on Twitter of having been racially abused during the final day of the first cricket Test in November, calling the incident “disturbing” and “a real shame”.
A bit disturbing hearing racial insults today whilst battling to help save my team , the crowd was been amazing this week except for that one guy , @TheBarmyArmy was good as usual also
— Jofra Archer (@JofraArcher) November 25, 2019
“The first thing I want to say about what happened towards the end of the Test at Mount Maunganui is that I’m over it,” Archer wrote in a column in Britain’s Daily Mail newspaper.
“I’ve left what happened at the ground and I’ve moved on. I should also say it was just one person who was shouting stuff. But I found the incident a real shame.”
The Barbados-born Sussex seamer also confirmed he had been contacted by the man on social media, but it remains unknown whether that was to apologise or send further abuse.
Police used security camera footage and witness reports to identify the person responsible.
Unfortunately, this wasn’t an isolated incident for Archer. Two Australian fans were kicked out of the fourth Ashes Test at Old Trafford in Manchester after hurling “foul and abusive” language at the fast bowler.
The third Test between South Africa and England commences Thursday, January 16th in Port Elizabeth.
Originally published as Two-year ban for Archer’s abuser