‘Infected officer was part of March 31 operations’
Police arrested 75 people and conducted a large-scale stop and search operation near Prince Edward MTR station where protesters had gathered to mark a raid into the trains by officers on August 31.
Officers had also courted controversy that day after they asked some of the detained people to remove their face masks and later gave them thinner ones as replacements.
He went to the hospital two days after the Mong Kok protest after feeling unwell. There a preliminary test showed he had the virus.
They said he was attached to the Shek Kip Mei station but was not in close contact with a colleague there who had contracted the virus earlier.
His team is now working from home, and station facilities are being disinfected, the department said, adding they are in close contact with the health authorities.
At a daily press briefing, Dr Chuang Shuk-kwan from the Centre for Health Protection said they are working with the police to track the movements of the officer during the days before he fell ill.
Seven of the new cases hadn’t recently travelled overseas. Officials said two cases, including one involving a 71 year-old man, are linked to bars in Wan Chai and Tsim Sha Tsui, where infections have happened.
Two other cases are linked to people who have previously diagnosed to be infected.